Our reports are based on information obtained from credit bureaus, criminal and eviction data providers. Neither Rental Research, Inc./ Background Research, Inc. nor its affiliates make any representations or warranties of any kind whatsoever as the content. We make no guarantee of the accuracy of the reports and do not offer refunds when it comes to data believed to be inaccurate, incomplete or missing. Once an applicant has authorized the background check they will no longer be entitled to a refund.
For criminal checks or an eviction ”No records found” is considered a successful result. This means that we did not find any criminal records for your applicant or any eviction records. “No Records Found” for a Social Security Trace or a credit check can also be a successful search. Generally this happens when an applicant has not used their Social Security Number to apply for credit in the last seven years. This is common in both the very young where they have not established credit and also occasionally in older people who have paid off all of their obligations. No refund will apply.
We will not refund fees for cases in which the user enters incorrect information, nor is Rental Research/Background Research obligated to rerun a report with corrected information. Because some of our data comes from public records, we cannot guarantee that information will be complete or fully up-to-date. Our reports follow the legal requirements for consumer reports. We will show all felony criminal convictions, to the extent permitted by law. In most cases this is subject to a seven year rule. Events that did not lead to a conviction will not be reported. State laws may impose further restrictions on what we are permitted to show.
We urge our customers to review the Jurisdictions Searched section of our site for details on exactly what jurisdictions we cover. Criminal records in particular may have anomalies for any of the following reasons:
- The person was not convicted — arrest records alone do not generate a criminal record.
- The record was expunged or sealed
- The offense was under a different name or date of birth
- The jurisdiction made an error in recording the name or date or birth
- Some jurisdictions do not participate with any database service. In those cases a manual search of court records should be done. Our database is one of the most comprehensive available — if we don’t have it, other search sites won’t have it either.
- For an instant search, we require a date of birth match, which some sources do not provide.
Users agree to indemnify and hold Rental Research, Inc/Background Research, Inc. harmless from and against any and all third party claims, demands, actions, losses, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or resulting from the User’ s (or their affiliates) actions under this agreement.